This post is meant for either people who want to play a particular escape room but need more people in order to 1) reach the hard minimum for that game or 2) make booking the room much more economical. This especially applies to travelling escape room enthusiasts who are looking for a team outside of their normal region.
You can always try converting friends, coworkers, and acquaintances into escape room friends first. But in the event that that doesn’t work, try posting in an local escape room enthusiast community! These local communities typically form on Facebook or Meetup.com. You can also book a public-booking game at a popular escape room in your area and you’ll run into other escape room parties as well.
The largest and most active English-language escape room community is the Escape Room Enthusiasts group on Facebook, with 6.5k+ members and multiple posts each day. That one not appropriate to post about searching for teammates, but is worth joining for a bunch of other reasons!
Here’s the list of English-speaking region-based escape room communities that we know of.
Local Escape Room Groups & Meetups
We’re trying to compile all active escape room groups with over 40 members in English-speaking countries. If you know of any we missed, please leave a comment or contact us!
North America West Coast
- SF Bay Area – Bay Area Room Escapers (800+ members)
- SoCal – Escape Room Artists (ERA Socal) (700+ members)
- SoCal – Escape Room Enthusiasts (400+ members)
- SoCal – The Survivor Exchange (A Live Escape Room Gaming Cooperative) (250+ members)
- SF Bay Area – Bay Area Escape Room Enthusiasts (100+ members)
- Sacramento – Sacramento Escape Room Enthusiasts (90+ members)
- Pacific Northwest – PNW Escape Room Enthusiasts (70+ members)
Rest of North America
- Toronto – Toronto Room Escape Games (300+ members)
- Toronto – Toronto Back-To-Back Escape Games (250+ members)
- Ontario – Escape Room Enthusiasts of Ontario (100+ members)
- Midwest USA – Escape Room Escapers (Indiana & Midwest Area) (100+ members)
- New York City – New York Escape Rooms Meetup (80+ members)
- New England – Escape Room Enthusiasts of New England (50+ members)
- Southeast USA – Southeast Escape Room Enthusiasts (40+ members)
- Carolinas – Carolina Escape Room Enthusiasts (40+ members)
UK, Australia, and New Zealand
- UK – UK Escape Room Enthusiasts (400+ members)
- Sydney – Escape rooms (400+ members)
- Australia & New Zealand – Escape Room Enthusiasts – Australia & New Zealand (100+ members)
If you decide you don’t want new escape room friends and still want to play with a smaller-than-minimum team size, certain games may allow you to “Puppet” (h/t Room Escape Artist) which means that you are allowed to call in the game master at certain points in the game in order to complete a certain task. You can ask the company if this is allowed.
Companion Cube screenshot by Tom Francis.